Bread Upma (ബ്രീഡ് ഉപമ, ಹಿಟ್ಟಿನರೊಟ್ಟಿ ಉಪ್ಮ, బ్రెడ్ ఉప్మా,ब्रेड उपमा) Bread Upma is prepared with small pieces of bread and its an excellent breakfast or Snack or school lunch which is indeed easy to prepare in no time and a desi version which beats bread and butter or jam.Which adds spice to plain bread.
Regional Dish : Kerala; Karnataka; Tamil Nadu; Andhra; South and North India.
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with green chutney | Type breakfast, Snack, School lunch | Shelf Life : half day | Quantity : 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories ( 374.8 Kcal), Carbohydrates (2.5 g), Protein (10.6 g), Fat (10.9 g).
- Eight bread slices
- Chopped onion 3/4 cup
- One chopped tomato
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- One cup butter milk / water
- Two green chillies chopped
- One tsp minced ginger
- One tbsp butter
- One tbsp oil
- One tsp mustard seeds
- One tbsp Urad dal
- One tbsp channa dal
- Some curry leaves
- Half tsp lemon juice
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt as needed
- Take bread slices and cut in to small pieces.
- Pour butter milk in a vessel.
- To the butter milk /water add turmeric powder.mix well .
- Put bread slices in to the mixture and keep it for 5 minutes. Use wide container for soaking so that all pieces get dipped well.
- Take a pan. Add oil and put mustard seeds,channa dal , urad dal , curry leaves and once they get slightly brown
- Add chopped onion and ginger.
- Allow them to cook until onion get translucent.
- Then add chopped green chillies, chopped tomatoes and salt. Stir well.
- Now add the soaked bread and toast them.
- Add butter and stir to get mixed well.
- Bread should get mixed well with other ingredients. So mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Bread Upma with vegetables. 2. bread upma with out butter milk.