Boondi kura (బూందీ కూర)
This is very unique recipe that is prepared in some parts of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.We know that this boondi is made in sweet and spicy ways, sweet to make traditional laddu’s and kara boondi as a savory. This recipe is made with Kaara boondi once which is salty and spicy in nature. You can try this recipe by using and store brought once. If you once taste this curry u want to have it more. We only know using kaara boondi in dahi (plain curds).
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 20 mins| Take it with rice/ roti | Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 3 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (150Kcals), Carbohydrates (20g), Protein (5g), Fat (10g).
- Kaara Boondi – 1/2 cup
- Onion big – 1
- Green chilies – 1 or 2 cut in to pieces
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tbsp.
- Coriander powder 1/2 tsp.
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tbsp.
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 1/4 cup or even less
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Fresh coriander leaves 1 tbsp. ( optional)
- Wash, clean and chop onions finely.
- Take a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Add green chilies, curry leaves and stir them for 1 min.
- Add chopped onions and saute them until they are transparent.
- Now add turmeric, ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, salt, mix well and add water.
- When water is boiling, add kaara boondi and mix carefully under low flame once.
- After one minute, switch off the flame and close the lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Optional , garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
1 Add very little water, and do not cook for long time after adding kaara boondi (by long term cooking the kaara boondi will become too soft and turns as paste, so the entire taste of the recipe will be altered).
2 Be careful while adding the salt because the kaara boondi which you are using for the recipe, may already have salt in it.
Variations: Add tomatoes to boondi kura, Add some garam masala to boondi kura, Add some coconut paste to boondi kura.