Bitter gourd fry (కాకరకాయ వేపుడు, ಕಕರಕಯ ವೆಪುದು, करेला तलना, ககரகய வெபுடு)Kakarkayalu called Bitter gourd in english as the name suggests is bitter and needs a lot of cleaning before it is cooked to reduce the bitterness. Bitter Gourd Fry Recipe is a very popular Andhra recipe. High on the nutritive quotient, Karela, is a vegetable that is available all year round at our local farmer’s market and a regular at our home.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Kerala; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 30 minutes| Take it as side dish | Type fry | Shelf Life : 1 day
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (156 Kcal), Carbohydrates (1 g), Protein (9 g), Fat (13 g).
- Bitter gourd slice into rounds 1/4 kg
- Big pinch turmeric pwd
- Oil 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp.
- Fresh garlic pieces 1 tbsp.
- Pinch of asafoetida/hing/inguva
- Curry leaves 10
- Dry roast and make a fine powder:
- Coriander seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies 2
- Pinch of fenugreek seeds/methi
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds , cumin seeds and let them pop. Add the curry leaves and asafoetida and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the garlic and fry till they turn brown.
- Add the ground spice pwd combine well.
- Now add bitter gourds slices and stir fry.Constantly stir fry on medium heat ensuring they don’t burn or stick to the pan.Keep frying till they well roasted and this could take about 15 minutes.
- Adjust salt and serve hot with rice , sambar or rasam rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Simple kakarakaya vepudu 2. Bitter gourd fry with onions 3. Bitter gourd fry with grated coconut.