Betel leaf bajji (தமலபகு பஜ்ஜி, తమలపాకు బజ్జి , पान बज्जी) is commonly used for devotional purposes by all hindus.Many of them don’t know that we can make bajjis out of it. Its very easy and very tasty.The betel leaf is known as Paan in Urdu/Hindi/ Bengali, and Taambuul and Nagavalli in Sanskrit.
Regional dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra Pradesh, South India.
Cuisine Style Tamilnadu | cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with chutney | Type snack | Shelf life : 1day | Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx.Nutrition values :calculated for 1 serving (2nos)
Calories (300 K cal), Carbohydrates (39 g), Protein (4 g), Fat (10 g).
- Betel Leaves 4 to 5
- Gram Flour (Besan) 5 to 7 tbsp
- Ginger Paste 1 tsp
- Red Chile Powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Clean and wash betel leaves.
- Thoroughly mix besan, ginger paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chile powder and salt into smooth thick batter using sufficient water.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium high heat.
- Dip each betel leaf in the prepared besan batter and slowly drop into hot oil.
- Fry the betel leaves on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove onto absorbent paper and repeat the same with remaining leaves.
- Serve with finely chopped onions , a lemon wedge and some sauce.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: None