Bendakaya pulusu (బెండకాయ పులుసు, பெண்டகைய புலுசு, भिंडी का सब्जी) popular as Okra in Tamarind gravy, is an Indian okra stew made in the Andhra Cuisine. Okra is often known as ladies finger in India
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; South India.
Cuisine style: Andhra Pradesh |Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 2 days if it refrigerated.
Appx.Nutrition values calculated for 1/2 cup:
Calories (45.9 kcal), Carbohydrate (17.5 g), Protein (0.8 g), Fat (1.5 g).
- Okra (Ladies finger) 250 gm
- Oil 75 ml
- Mustard seeds 05 gm
- Curry leaves 03 gm
- Green chillies 10 gm
- Asafoetida 03 gm
- Onions 100 gm
- Turmeric 05 gm
- Red chilli powder 2 tbs
- Sambhar powder 75 gm
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind water 100 gm
1. Cut the okra into 1 inch pieces. Soak the tamarind and extract pulp. Chop the onion and the green chillies.
2. Heat oil and add mustard seeds, when crackling add onions.
3. Sauté onions until translucent. Add curry leaves and all the powders.
4. Mix in the okra and sauté on a slow flame for 5 minutes.
5. Add tamarind and water to thin the gravy, boil until the okra is cooked. Simmer on a slow fire for 10 minutes.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: Bendakaya kura with tamato