Bendakaya Masala Fry (బెండకాయ మసాల వేపుడు, பெண்டகைய மசாலா பரி, भिंडी मसाला तलना) Bendakaya also called “Okra”. The ever-abundant okra is a regular at our home. The addition of roasted peanuts enlivens the okra and lends a crunchy layer of flavor. Just do your best not to overcook okra beyond recognition, they should be soft yet retain a bit of crunch.
Regional Dish : AndhraPradesh ; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; Punjabi; Kerala; South and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with rice | Type fry | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 5 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (212.2 Kcal), Carbohydrates (10.5 g), Protein ( 5.7 g), Fat (17.9 g).
- Bendakaya/bhindi/okra 1/4 kg
- Onion finely chopped 1
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli pwd 1/2 ts
- Coriander pwd 1/4 tsp
- Pinch of cumin pwd
- Pinch of turmeric pwd
- Fresh curry leaves 10-12
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 1/4 tbsps
- Roasted peanuts 1 1/2 tbsps
- Wash the okra, dry them, chop tip and tail ends. Chop into 1/2″ pieces.
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce heat to medium flame, add the mustard seeds, let them splutter, add the cumin seeds and let them brown.
- Add the curry leaves, stir them for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add the okra and turmeric pwd and combine.
- Saute on me dium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Now reduce to low flame, add a tbsp of yogurt or lemon juice (to reduce slime) and let it cook for 4-5 mts.
- Saute in between so that they don’t burn. Add the chilli pwd, cumin pwd and coriander pwd and reduce flame and cook till the okra turns soft.
- Don’t overcook the okra, they should retain that, slight crunchy texture. Add the roasted peanus at this stage and combine well. Let it cook for another mt on medium high heat, season with salt and turn off flame.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Bendayakaya fry with ginger garlic paste. 2. Bendakaya fry with coconut paste and garam masala.