Bendakaya Kura (బెండకాయ కూర, பெண்டகைய கூற, भिंडी कूरा) A delicious curry from Andhra Pradesh. Lady’s finger & brinjal are fired to make curry in our place. This curry can be served with steaming hot rice, warm roti, pittu, string hoppers, bread & thosai.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh ; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with rice | Type curry | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity 4 servings
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (115 Kcal), Carbohydrates (18.6 g) Protein ( 4.6 g), Fat (3.9 g).
- Okra / ladies finger (Bendakya ) 500 gms
- Sunflower oil 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds half a tsp
- Cumin seeds half a tsp
- Urad dal 1tsp
- A sprig of fresh curry leaves
- Dried red chillis 2
- Salt according to taste
- Green chilies 3 cut in to pieces
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp.
- Wash and dry okra. Its important to dry them thouroughly before chopping in order to avoid a sticky mess. Chop the okra into small floret shaped pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok and add urad dal, jeera and mustard seeds. Just as the mustard seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves and red chillis.
- Add the okra, salt, turmeric pwd, green chilies and stir gently and leave to cook on medium heat. Stirring often at this stage will only result in a sticky mess.
- After about 5-10 mins, stir again,and cook on low to medium heat till the okra is cooked properly of about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy with steamed rice or roti.
- Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Bendakaya curry with grated coconut and garam masala. 2. okra curry with gingergarlic paste.3. okra curry with curds and tamrind juice. with some onions.