Beerakaya Ullikaram (బీరకాయ ఉల్లికారం , பீர்கங்கை ஒனியன் கரவி, तूराय और प्याज की सब्जी) It is very delicious dish with hot rice or roti . Beerakaya has lot of water content and potentially cools body and also has a lot of fiber.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Kerala; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity :4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 2tbs)
Calories (57 Kcal), Carbohydrates (3.4 g), Protein (0.5 g), Fat (0.1 g).
- Beerakayalu 1/2 kg (Ridge Gourd)
- Onions 250 gms
- Tamarind small lemon size
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1 pinch
- Oil 5-6 tsp
- Red chillies 10
- Cumin seeds 1/2tsp
- Coriander seeds 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal(blackgram dal) 1 1/2tsp
- Chana dal 1 1/2tspp
- Peel the skin of Beerakayalu.
- Cut peeled Beerakayalu into 2 inches pieces.( check for bitterness, if bitter then discard)
- Heat Kadai on stove and roast Channa dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, corianderseeds and mirchi with 1tsp oil till golden brown colour, now let them cool.
- Heat Kadai with 5tsp oil and add Beerakaya pieces and cover it with lid.
- Cut Onions into small pieces.
- Grind the roasted ingredients and add Onion pieces, Tamarind, salt and turmeric powder and grind it again.
- Add this grinded paste to the beerakaya pieces in the kadai.
- Cook till you see a layer of oil on the top.
- Beerakaya ulli karam curry is ready to eat.
- This can be taken along with hot rice along with ghee or with Roti.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1.Beerakaya Ullikaram with Seasame seeds and Tomato., 2. Beerakaya iguru, 3. Beerakaya menthikura, 4. Beerakaya masala, 5. Beerakaya pachidi, 6. Beerakaya bajji.