Beerakaya Pappu (బీరకాయ పప్పు, பீரகைய பப்பு, बीरकाया पप्पू) The ridge gourd dal is most popular in the Indian States of Andra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Orissa, Karnataka, even in places of North India.
Regional Dish : Andra pradesh; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andra Pradesh | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take With Rice | Type Dal | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 3 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 1/2 cup)
Calories ( 161 Kcals) , Carbohydrates (16g), Protein (6.8g),Fat (3g)
- 1 small tender ridge gourd/beerakaya
- 1 medium sized onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Toor dal/yellow lentils
- 2 green chillies slit
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 5 Curry leaves
- Red chillies 2 broken
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
- Pinch of hing
1. Peel the ridge gourd and cut into small cubes.Check whether the ridge gourd is bitter or not before proceeding .
2. Wash toor dal and soak it in water for some time.
3. Heat oil in a pan or pressure cooker and add chopped onions and green chillies and fry until they are translucent.
4. Add ridge gourd pieces and fry for few minutes and add soaked toor dal and add coriander powder, cumin powder and turmeric and mix well.
5. Transfer this mixture into a vessel that fits in the pressure cooker(or if you are doing it in the pressure cooker directly,you can skip this step). Add enough salt and water and pressure cook for 3 whistles and switch off the flame.
6. Mean while heat a small pan and add ghee/oil to it and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add slightly crushed garlic, red chillies and hing and fry for few seconds and add curry leaves and switch off the flame.
7. After the pressure drops down turn on the heat again and pour the prepared tampering over it and mix well and let it come to a boil once and switch off the flame.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Beerakaya Pappu with tamarind pulp.
2. Beerakaya pappu with chilli powder
3.Beerakaya pappu with tomato