Beerakaya Pachadi (బీరకాయపచ్చడి, तुरई की चटनी)is a Andhra recipe that is prepared locally in every house.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; Kerala; South India
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 15 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values: calculated for 1 serving (2tbsp)
Calories (30 kcal), Carbohydrates (5 g), Protein (0.1 g), Fat (.5 g).
- Beerakaya (Ridge gourd, turai) 1 cup
- Dry red chilies or green chilies 6 nos
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Tamarind ½ lime size or 1 tbsp. of tamarind paste.
- Curry leaves 5 nos.
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- Finely chopped fresh coriander leaves 1 tbsp.
- Salt as needed
- Peel, wash and cut the beerakaya.( check for bitterness, if bitter discard)
- Heat 1tbsp. of oil in a pan and add the prepared beerakaya and if using green chilies than green chilies, cover and cook till they are soft.
- Now allow to cool and transfer to grinder.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp. of oil and fry red chilies, mustard seeds curry leaves garlic and allow it to cool.
- Then transfer this seasoning to the grinder that has beerakaya.
- Add salt, turmeric, tamarind and grind to coarse consistency.
- Check for taste and if needed any this adjust accordingly
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy with steamed rice and ghee or as a side chutney with chapathi or curd rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: Add tomato, Add jaggery, Add roasted sesame seeds, Add roasted groundnuts. Use fresh garlic instead of fried , Add fresh coconut..