Beerakaya Masala Senaga pappu (బీరకాయ మసాల సెనగపప్పు, பீர்கங்கை மசாலா கடலைப் பருப்பு, तूराय और मसाला चना दल) This is one more variety of Ridge gourd based curries which makes it rich in proteins as channa dal is added , and when ginger garlic paste and cumin powder is added it spices up masala flavor to this curry.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with Rice or Rotis | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 2 Tbsp)
Calories (138 Kcals), Carbohydrates (39g) , Protein (12g), Fat (10g)
Ingredients to serve :
- Ridge Gourd 1 medium sized (wash, peel and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- Chana Dal 1 cup (washed)
- Onion 1 (chopped)
- Green chillies 4-5 (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies 1 (broken)
- Curry leaves 6-8
- Pressure cook Chana Dal in a pressure cooker by adding 2 cups of water and cook for 3 whistles. Dal should be separate but cooked it should not be over cooked (mushy) , if their is any water drain the water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan, add the mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
- When the seeds start spluttering add the onions, green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute until the onions turn soft and transparent.
- Now add the ridge gourd pieces, salt and cumin powder and 1/2 cup of water or we have any dal water that can be used too and than mix well.
- Close the pan and allow to cook on medium flame for about 10min. The Ridge gourd pieces turn soft at this stage.
- Stir in the Chana dal now, cover and cook for 5 min. Remove from heat.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Beerakaya masala senagapappu with garam masala and tomato.