Bean and Barley Vegetable Soup( बीन और जौ सब्जी का सूप) This recipe is a hearty homemade barley and vegetable soup which is both healthy and filling. A meal in itself, you can add just about any veggies you want – green beans, peas or corn would all work well. This recipe makes a more than generous amount.
Regional Dish: North India, Europe, America
Cuisine Style : American | Cooking Time 60 mins | Take it as such | Type Soup | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1 cup )
Calories (121 Kcal), Carbohydrates (17.7 g), Protein (5.7g), Fat (3.2g).
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- any other vegetables desired, 1/2 cup each
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup pearled barley, uncooked
- 1 cup pinto or white beans, pre-soaked if dry
- 1/3 cup tomato paste or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp basil / cilantro/ parsley
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ tsp crushed cumin powder
- In a large soup pot, sauté the onions, carrots and any other vegetables for 3-5 minutes. Add vegetable broth or water and all other ingredients and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally, until barley is soft and somewhat fluffy. Add more spices to taste and enjoy!