Beal Sharbet (बेल शर्बत, వెలగపండు పానకము,कपित्थ सरबत)
The bael fruit ( Wood Apple) has a smooth, woody shell which is so hard that one has to use hammer or machete to crack the fruit ; the fibrous yellow pulp is very aromatic. It has been described as tasting of marmalade and smelling of roses.
In India ( in Hindus) this bael tree has lot of importance ; it is considered as sacred .On the other hand in Indian medicine like Ayurveda most of the tree parts are used in curing health aliments such as stomach pain, constipation, improves digestion, de toxicity’s the body , purifies blood, cools once body temperature during hot summers .The fruit in raw or ripe form , or when mixed with other ingredients the uses are endless.
So , it is consumed all over India and many countries around India is some form or the other such as Tea, Sherbet, jam , Juice with sugar/jiggery, Smoothie with milk , Marmalade, Medicine and also as a Sweet and Chutney.
It is also served to lord Ganesha as part from Siva as Ganesha likes this fruit a lot , all the below recipes can be served during ganesha pooja .
Regional Dish: Indian
Cuisine Style: Indian| Cooking time 20 minutes| Take as such | Type Soft Drink | Shelf life 1 day if refrigerated
Appx Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1 glass):
Calories ( 130 Kcals) , Carbohydrates (8.1g), Protein ( 0.9 g), Fat ( 0.1g)
- Wood apple : 1 no
- Sugar : 4 tbsps ( as needed)
- Water : 3 cups
- Dissolve sugar in 2 cups water and heat it for 10 minutes and then allow it to cool
- Now break the wood apple, scoop out the pulp and mash it and add 1 cup of water and pass the pulp through a strainer , if needed add one more cup of water and repeate the process to get all the juice extracted from pulp .
- Add wood apple extract to sugar water, mix well
- Chill and serve
- Wood apple : 1nos
- Jaggery grated : 4 tbs
- Cardamom powder : ¼ tsp
- Break ripe wood apple and scoop out the pulp
- Now add jaggery and cardamom powder to the pulp and mix well.
- Put it in fridge for 1 hr and serve chill.
Wood Apple Tea
- Dry Wood apple pieces : 3 nos
- Sugar : 2 tsp
- Water 1 glass
- Boil water, once it is boiled take it off the heat and add dry bael fruit and cover it will the lid and allow it to seap for 15 mins.
- After that discard the dry beal pieces.
- To the water ( which appear dark brown in color ) add sugar; mix well and serve hot or cold .
- Note: Sugar can be substituted with Honey , Agave necter , zero calorie sweetner , can also be make a bit tang by adding some lemon juice.
Wood apple Chutney:
- Wood apple pulp of :1 no
- Green chillies: 4 nos
- Coriander leaves : 2 tbps finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- For seasoning :
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
- red chillies : 1 broken in to pieces
- Curry leaves : 5 nos
- Asefodieta (hing) 1/4 tsp
- oil : 1 tbs
- Crack open woodapple and scoop out the pulp.
- Grind pulp with greenchillies and salt ( adjust to taste) and mix
- To the above chutney add finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Season ( cumin, mustard , chillies , curry leaves and hing ) in oil and add this to the chutney and mix well
- Serve with hot white rice and ghee.
- Note: as the wood apple is sour , one can add jaggery and also fresh curds.