Baboosa or Basbousa is also called as hareesa, revani is a sweet cake made of semolina, cream of wheat or farina soaked in simple syrup. Coconut is a popular addition. The syrup may also optionally contain orange flower water or rose water. Basbousa is a popular dessert among Christians during fasting seasons such as lent. It is a famous middle eastern and Egyptian dessert.
Regional Dish: Egypt
Cuisine Style: | Cooking Time 60 mins | Take it as such | Type Sweet| Shelf Life : 5 days| Quantity : 20 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (53.6Kcal), Carbohydrates (8g), Protein (1g), Fat (4g)
To make Syrup:
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
To make Cake:
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- blanched split almonds
- whipped cream
- Prepare syrup first. Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil, add in
honey. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes.Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease and flour a 9×12 baking dish.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda.Slowly add to butter and egg mixture. Stir in milk.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.
- Take a butter knife and make diagonal lines from left to right and complete to make diamond shapes. Place an almond in the center of each
diamond. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream.