Avial (അവിഅല്, அவியல், अविअल) Avial is an assortment of vegetables cooked with coconut, curd and seasoned with aromatic coconut oil. Avail can also be prepared in to thin gravy consistency or thick gravy consistency. This recipe comes from Kerala, and traditionally served with steamed rice or adai. It is specially prepared during festivals like Onam. It is Kerala’s very best mixed vegetable stew in coconut and curds.
Regional Dish: Kerala, Tamil Nadu
Cuisine Style: Kerala| Cooking Time 35 mins| Take it with rice/ roti | Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1no)
Calories (89.3Kcals), Carbohydrates (15g), Protein (2.3g), Fat (2.5g).
- 3 cups of mixed vegetables like Carrots, Beans , Potatoes, Drumsticks, Eggplants, Yam , Plantain, Peas, White pumpkin, Green mango, Cucumber, Snake gourd, Bottle gourd.
- ½ tsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ cup Curd/ plain yogurt
- Salt to taste
For the Masala to be grinded to paste:
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut
- 3 Green chilies
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. Coconut oil ( if doesn’t handle coconut oil smell than use any cooking oil)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Chop vegetables into 2 inch length pieces.
- In a saucepan, mix vegetables, turmeric powder, salt and 3/4 cup of water.(If you need thick avial, add water just enough to cook vegetables) Cover and cook it for 5 minutes in medium flame or till the vegetables are 3/4 th cooked.
- When vegetables are cooking, grind the ingredients given for grinding with little water.
- Add the ground ingredients to the vegetable mixer. Mix well. Cook till it boils.
- Meanwhile, In a seasoning pan, heat coconut oil and add half of curry leaves when it is hot.
- Pour this seasoning to the avial. Add remaining curry leaves and turn the flame off. Mix well.
- Now, add sour curd and mix well. The heat in the pan is enough for the curd to get cooked.
- You can use any vegetables available at hand. For quick cooking of vegetables, use pressure cooker.
- Make sure to chop quick cooking vegetables into bigger sizes and slow cooking ingredients into slightly smaller sizes, if your are going to cook in one bowl.
- Use less amount of carrots, if not the avail becomes sweet.
- If you are using raw mango, reduce the curd quantity to half.
- If you do not have curd or don’t want to use curd, add a big pinch of tamarind extract along with ground coconut paste.
Variations: Add different variety of bell peppers, Add zucchini.