Avakaya (ఆవకాయ, மாங்காய் ஊறுகாய், आम की अचार) Avakaya Mango Pickle Spicy raw mango pickle with chilli powder and mustard A traditional pickle from Andhra, a hot favourite of most foodies. Deep red, hot and spicy with pieces of mango, mixed in turmeric, mustard and red chilli powder and lots of garlic. Tastes best when served with hot steamed rice with a dollop of ghee.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; Maharastra; Kerala; Punjabi; South India; some places in North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Preperation time 2-3 days | Take it as side dish | Type Pickle | Shelf Life : 6 months |Quantity : 20 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1Tbsp)
Calories ( 25 Kcal), Carbohydrates ( 3.1g ), Protein (0g), Fat (2 g).
- Raw mango pieces 4 cups
- Salt 1 cup
- Red chilli powder 1 cup
- Turmeric powder 1 tablespoon
- Mustard powder 4 tablespoons
- Fenugreek powder 1 tablespoon (dry roast fenugreek seeds first and let it cool and grind in to fine powder)
- Seasame oil 2 cups
- Garlic cloves 20 ( skin removed)
- First wash the raw mangoes well and wipe them nicely with a cloth and let it dry for a minute. Now slice each mango into center lengthwise and remove seed. later cut in to cubes of desired size.
- Take a bowl and put all the powders such as( salt, red chili, fenugreek, mustard, turmeric ) mix them well.
- Now take a big dish which is clean and dry, put hand full of mango pieces , table spoon of mixed powders and a table spoon of oil and mix well , continue like this till all the mango pieces , the mixed powder and oil are over to this mix add garlic cloves.
- Air tight this container after three days mix the preparation and taste to see if it needs any ingredient , accordingly adjust and transfer it to a glass or porcelain jar so that one can enjoy this pickle all through the year.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Mango Thokku 2. Velluli Avakaya 3. Kothi meera Avakai 4. Cauliflower Avakai. pesara avakaya, bellum avakaya, senagala avakaya , nuvulla avakaya.