Rice flakes upma (అటుకుల ఉప్మా, அவள் உபம, पोहा उप्मा) Poha Upma, also called Atukulu Upma in Telugu or Aval upma in Tamil is an easy simple dish Atukula (poha/Avalaki) upma is very common tiffin (breakfast) item in Karnataka. “Atukulu” also called as poha or rice flakes is nothing but rice dehusked and beaten flat to make small flakes. Have it as breakfast or as an evening snack over a hot cup of tea, no matter what time of the day.
Regional Dish : Karnataka; Tamilnadu; Andhra; Kerala; South and North India.
Cuisine Style : Karnataka| Cooking Time 15 minutes | Take it as directly | Type Breakfast or Snack | Shelf Life : 3 hours |Quantity : 3 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values :calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (200 Kcal), Carbohydrates (10 g), Protein (0 g), Fat (15 g).
- Atukulu/ Rice flakes 350 gms
- Mustard seeds 2 tea spoons
- Cumin seeds 2 tea spoons
- Urad dal 3 tea spoons
- Chana dal 3 tea spoons
- Ground nuts 3 tea spoons
- Cashews 3 tea spoons
- Carrot 1 no
- Potato 1 no (medium size)
- Tomato 2 nos
- Onions 2 nos(medium size)
- Green chillies 6 nos
- Curry leaves 10 to 15 leaves
- Coriander leaves for decoration
- Salt as required
- Oil as required
- First take a bowl and one glass of water. Soak the ATUKULU in that water for 3 minutes and take out them from water.(Water nundi Pindi plate lo pettali).
- Now we have to put a pan and pour 3 table spoons of oil.After the oil is heated put Mustard,Cumin,Urad dal,Chana dal,Ground nuts in it and fry them in oil for 3minutes.
- Now we have to add Cashews. After they are finely fried in oil add all the vegetables,green chilles and Curry leaves in that.(All the vegetables and chillies should be finely chopped).
- Add some salt as required for those vegetables.Let it be cooked for 5 minutes.
- Now we have to add the Atukulu which we dished out in to plate earlier, add salt and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now remove it from flame and garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot. It is very easy to prepare,very tasty and very healthy as we have added vegetables and nuts.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Atukula vegetable upma.
It can also be made with brown rice flakes which is healthy.