Atukula Payasam (అట్టుకుల పాయసం, அவள் பாயசம், पोहा खीर) It is an easy to prepare, easy to digest, delicious dessert. It is also called rice flake pudding.Mostly it is loved by kids.
Regional Dish : Tamil Nadu; Kerala; Andhra Pradesh; Karnataka; South India.
Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it as Snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 1 day.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 cup: Calories (210 Kcal), Carbohydrates (15 g), Protein (3 g), Fat (8 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Rice flakes : ¼ cup
- Milk : 2 cups
- Sugar : ¾ cup
- Cashew nuts : 5 to 10
- Raisins (Kismis) : 5 to 10
- Almonds (Badam) : 4 to 6
- Cardamom powder A pinch
- Ghee for frying
- Saffron a few strands
- Fry badam, kismis and cashew nuts in ghee , once cooled break them in to small pieces.
- Boil milk under low flame.
- Roast rice flakes a little (with a very little ghee) till golden brown.
- Add the fried rice flakes to the boiling milk and stir.
- Add sugar and stir once again and allow them to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now garnish with nuts and cardamom powder.
- Remove from heat and to finish add saffron for that aroma and color.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Aval payasam with Brown rice flakes.