Ariselu (అరిసెలు, அறிசெலு, পিঠা) is a popular sweet dish among Telugu (Andhra) people. It is prepared on the Sankranti festival with new rice from the harvest. This can be prepared anytime, but mainly prepared when new rice and new jaggery are harvested in villages. This recipe is also preapred in different parts of India with different names during winter seasons like pitha in Bengal and Orissa , adhirasam during pongal in Tamil Nadu.
Regional Dish : Andhra pradesh; Tamilnadu;Kerala; karnataka; Orissa..
Cuisine Style : Andhra pradesh | preparation time 30 minutes | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Type snack | Shelf Life:10 days
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1no):
Calories (103 kcal), Carbohydrates (14 g), Protein (1 g), Fat (5 g).
Ingredients to serve:
- Sesame Seeds 1/4 cup
- Rice 1 kg
- Jaggery 1/2 kg
- Oil for deep-frying
- Water 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp.
- Wash the rice and soak it for about 6 hours. ( if soaked over night then ariselu will come out very well)
- Drain the water and keep the rice on a cloth for drying.
- Make fine powder by grinding it in a mixie.
- Shred the jaggery and put it in a pan.
- Add water to the jaggery and dissolve it by boiling.
- Make thick syrup of this mixture on low flame .( see that the syrup attains a soft ball stage) once it reaches this stage , turn off the heat .
- Gradually add ground rice flour which is prepared to it and stir constantly. There should not be any lump formation and allow it to cool so that it can be handled..
- Prepare balls out of this mixture.
- Press the balls on a plastic sheet to shape them in the form of round puris.
- To decorate, roll the puris lightly in the sesame seeds.
- Heat oil in another pan.
- Deep-fry these puris on low flame till dark brown.
- Ariselu are ready.
- Note : To drain excess oil from ariselu , once we take them out from oil immediately press it between to spatulas.
Note: If ariselu are made using new rice ( rice that are harvest before sankranthi festival)
Other varients / Cuisine Style: Ariselu made using equal amount of fresh grated coconut, Ariselu made using sugar instead of jaggery.Ariselu made using ghee, Ariselu made using poppy seeds.