Andhra Chicken Pickle (ఆంధ్ర కోడి ఊరగాయ, आंध्र मुर्गी की अचार) The name itself speaks, it is pickling of chicken, using it as a preserve, so that it can be enjoyed yearlong at any time, avoiding that hassle of preparation. This pickle is worth to taste as it is very much different from other pickle, the chicken pieces when had in mouth seems a bit hard as they are totally dehydrated by cooking them in hot oil, this makes the piece chewy.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 60 mins| Take it with roti / rice| Type Pickle| Shelf Life: 1 month| Quantity: 10 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (50Kcals), Carbohydrates (5g), Protein (8.2 g), Fat (4.5g).
- Chicken : 1 lb ( boneless)
- Coriander seeds: 2 Tbsp.
- Cloves : 8
- Cinnamon : 2″ piece
- Cardamom : 3
- Poppy seeds (dry fried): 1 tsp.
- Garlic : 10 pods
- Ginger : equal quantity of garlic
- Water : 1 glass
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Oil : 100ml
- Paprika / chili powder: 12 tsp.
- Mustard Powder: 2 tsp.
- Fenugreek powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Lemon : 5
- Salt as needed
- Ingredients for Seasoning/ talimpu/ tadka
- Oil : 100 ml
- Dry red chilies : 4
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp.
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp.
- Clean and cut chicken into small pieces.
- Heat a glass of water and bring it to boil. When it comes to boiling point add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/2tsp. turmeric powder to this add chicken pieces slowly and cook it till done and strain it.
- Dry the chicken pieces on a paper towel for 15 mins.
- In mean time powder coriander seeds, cloves , cardamom , cinnamon and fried poppy seeds to a fine powder.
- In second round add ginger and garlic pieces and grind again.
- Now heat a pan, add 100 ml of oil and fry boiled chicken pieces till golden brown.
- Now to the fried chicken add grinded paste and fry for 3 mins and switch off stove.
- Take a dry bowl and add salt, red chili powder, mustard powder and fenugreek powder and mix nicely. Pour these spices on top of chicken and mix nicely.
- Take a bowl and squeeze juice of 5 lemons.
- Once the chicken is cooled completely add this lemon juice and mix nicely.
- Now heat a sauce pan add 100ml of oil and make tampering by adding dry red chilies, cumin, mustard and asafoetida. Switch off stove and add curry leaves to the seasoning. let this tadka cool completely.
- Add this tadka to chicken and mix nicely.
- Transfer it to a dry(glass or ceramic) storage container and store in a dark and dry place , take it out next day and check for taste, if salt or chilie powder is needed , than accordingly adjust and enjoy and time with hot hot rice.
- Always use a clean and dry spoon to scoop out the pickle.
- If the pickle looks dry then add little oil without heating.
- This pickle can be enjoyed the same day.
No comments yet.