Amarantha moong dal fry (తోటాకు పెసర పప్పు వేపుడు, தொடக்கு பேசற பப்பு பரி, तोटाकु मूंग दाल तलना) This is a very nutritious and healthy recipe and it needs very little oil. You can eat the whole bowl of this Amaranth leaves Stir fry even without any rice or chapathi. In Andhra, Amaranth leaves/thotakura is used in making dal’s and palya’s like thotakura pesarapappu podi kura and simple stir-fry. Amaranth leaves are considered to have more iron content than spinach.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with rice or chapati | Type Fry | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (181.3Kcals), Carbohydrates (28g), Protein (6g), Fat (1.5g).
- Choped amaranth 4 cups
- Green gram dal 1/2 cup
- Onion 2
- Chillies 3
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Iguru karam 1 1/2 tsp (grind redchillies 3 zera 1/2 spoon garlic flakes 4 a pinch salt)
- Coriander leaves
- Oil 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urud dal 1/2tsp
- Chann dal 1/2 tsp
- Crushed garlic flakes 5 pcs
- Curry leaves for taste few
- Boil green gram dal for 10 mts and kept aside
- Heat oil in a cooking bowl. Add chana dal, urud dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Wait to splutter. Add red chillies, crushed garlic flakes, few curry leaves .
- Add choped onion, chillies, turmaric wait for two minutes.
- Add choped amaranth, cook covered with low flame .
- Mix thoroughly and occasionally until fry.
- Add boiled green gram dal. Add salt and iguru karam and mix well.
- Add coriander leaves.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Thotaku Stir fry 2. Thotaku senaga pappu fry 3. Thotaku onion fry .