Akki Rotti (ಅಕ್ಕಿ ರೋಟಿ ,चावल के आटे की रोटी) is beloved favorite among Kannadagidas. This is enjoyed as a breakfast or as a evening snack with some green coconut chutney. To rice flour , papadi is added and also to spice it up onions, chilies are added to make a healthy rotti. As the papadi’s come in winter month these are used in various food preparations in Karnataka.
Regional Dish: Karnataka
Cuisine Style: Karnataka| Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as Such| Type Snack| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (175Kcal), Carbohydrates (28g), Protein (2g), Fat (4g)
• 1 cup cooked avarekalu ( surti papdi/ surti lilva/ Indian flat beans)
• 2 cups rice flour
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 Tsp. finely chopped green chilies
• 1/2 cup grated coconut – fresh or frozen
• 1 Tbsp. salt (adjust to taste)
• 1 Tsp. cumin seeds
• 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
• Curry leaves
• Warm water to make a soft dough
• 2 to 4 Tbsp. of cooking oil
1. Cook the avarekalu till soft and let it cool.
2. Add all the ingredients except for water in a wide bowl and mix it in.
3. Add warm water slowly and mix the ingredients into semi firm dough – it should be easy to pat on a flat surface.
4. Take an aluminum foil and put orange sized dough in the center and make it into a thin (1/2 MM) circle by patting it with your fore fingers. Dip your fingers in cold water to help the patting process.
5. Heat a flat tawa/pan on medium heat, drizzle a few drops of oil on the tawa and put the aluminum foil on top with roti facing down.
6. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and you can remove the foil easily from the top.
7. Drizzle oil on top of the roti and let it cook until golden brown and crisp.
8. Flip the roti and cook a couple of minutes on the other side too.
9. Remove it onto a plate, top it with ghee for additional flavor and serve it with pickles, chutney or yogurt.
10. Alternation. Boil 2 cups of water and add all the ingredients , expect oil , mix well and take it off the flame and cover the pan with lid and leave it till the rice mixture is able to handle , than add some oil and knead for 5 minutes to make dough to make rotti’s.
Variations: Add Sesame seeds, Add dill leaves, Add grated carrot, Add red chili flakes.