Adai is a typical Kerala Breakfast recipe which is made of lentils and rice. It is filling , healthier as it has proteins from dals , calories from rice , drumstick and carrot rich in nutrients.
Regional Dish: Kerala ; Tamilnadu.
Cuisine Style : Kerala | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Taken with any Chutney, butter, jaggery , idli powder | Type Break fast | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity: 6 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for one serving ( 2 nos)
Calories (350 Kcal), Carbohydrates (20 g), Protein (8 g), Fat (2 g).
- Raw rice : 1 cup
- Par Boiled rice : 1cup
- Toor dal : 1/4 cup
- Channa dal : 1/4 cup
- Urad dal : ¼ cup
- Moong dal : 2tbsp
- Green chillies : 2 nos
- Red chillies : 2 nos
- Ginger : 1tbsp ( finely chopped)
- Salt as required
- Oil for making adai.
Ingredients added to batter
- Asafoetida : ¼ tsp
- Onions : 2 finely chopped
- Fresh grated coconut : 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves : 5 nos
- Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp ( finely chopped)
- Grated carrot : ½ ( optional)
- Drumstick leaves : handful (optional)
- Soak rice and all the dals together for 4- 5 hours.
- Grind the above soaked rice and dal mixture in to coarsely along with red chillies, green chillies, ginger and salt. The batter should not be thick nor runny .
- Now to the above grinded mixture add asafoetida, finely chopped onions, curry leaves, grated coconut and coriander leavesand mix well.
- Heat a griddle or a non stick tawa and pour a ladle of batter and spread it in circular motion. Add a tsp of oil around it. Let it get cooked.
Then flip it over to the other side and drizzle a tsp of oil around the adai. Let it get cooked.
- After both sides are cooked remove from tawa and serve it hot with any chutney or butter or jaggery or any idli powders